Monday, January 17, 2011

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


While I am not religious, I bow my head in prayer on this special day. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s work, his love for others, his concerns, his remarkable courage, his faith, his belief in mankind regardless of race, color, creed, or economic bounty (or lack of) are inspiration for us all to follow. How lucky we are to have had such an example!

Dr. King I wish I could have met you. I wish I could have been one of the soldiers in your Army. I remember that day, but I really didn't know what it meant. I kept it at bay away from my feelings and consciousness. I was afraid of it and as I wrote in my song, "I was afraid of Malcolm just like any white man".

In time with the deaths of JFK, Malcolm and RFK, I let the scary truth come in. Dr. King I thank you for the floor you laid under us all, and the ceiling you removed forever. We can't go back. Thank you Dr. King.

-- Garland Jeffreys

No comments: